Saturday, February 18, 2006

God: "This is What I Want . . . "

I was reading Pastor John Piper's November 3, 2002, sermon, The Absolute Sovereignty of God (which is part of his study of Romans), and I was struck with this thought:

In the study and pursuit of sound, Biblical doctrine, how often are we guilty of being, of doing, what John Piper said he felt the Lord telling him in 1979?

John Piper recounts that it was in 1979, when he began writing his book,
The Justification of God: Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23, that his study of Romans 9 showed him "a God so majestic and so free and so absolutely sovereign that [his] analysis merged into worship," and he felt the Lord telling him,
  • I will not simply be analyzed, I will be adored.
  • I will not simply be pondered, I will be proclaimed.
  • My sovereignty is not simply to be scrutinized, it is to be heralded.
  • It is not grist for the mill of controversy, it is gospel for sinners who know that their only hope is the sovereign triumph of God’s grace over their rebellious will.
Are we guilty of being, of doing, these things? If so, how have we, who can we, change this?

1 Comments:

At 6/10/2006 10:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I consider your questions, I wonder, am I guilty or not. Sometimes I reckon I am. What strikes me as I examine my own heart and past experience is this: Many times I may have started out analyzing, pondering, preparing for controversy but Praise the LORD it ends up in awe and wonderment and worship and praise and proclamation.


How can we change?
We need sometimes simply to hear words like John Piper's which remind us that God is the Gospel, it is a God-Centered gospel and we were made to Glorify God and to Enjoy Him forever.

This has been the means The Spirit of God has used to awaken me from my slumber and my analytical nature to one of praise and worship and submission.

Maybe I'm too simplistic.

scott

 

Post a Comment

<< Home