Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Chuck Colson: Soothing the Church to Death

Soothing Ourselves to Death; Should we give people what they want or what they need?
Charles Colson, Christianity Today, April 5, 2006
"[O]ne Sunday morning, I cracked. We'd been led through endless repetitions of a meaningless ditty called "Draw Me Close to You," which has zero theological content and could just as easily be sung in any nightclub. When I thought it was finally and mercifully over, the music leader beamed. "Let's sing that again, shall we?" he asked. "No!" I shouted, loudly enough to send heads all around me spinning while my wife cringed."

Dr. Sam Storms, Enjoying God Ministries, respectfully disagrees.

What about you? Does every song sung in church need to be theologically rich? Is what someone "wants" always mutually exclusive from what they "need?" Isn't it all about the heart of the worshipper, anyway?

What say you?

1 Comments:

At 4/13/2006 2:51 PM, Blogger SB said...

Nice Blog- I agree that it goes back to the heart of the worshipper-- sometimes a simple song from the right heart is a blessing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home