Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Recognition of Footsteps: How do Yours Sound?

The other day I was coming around a corner in my office when a co-worker said, before I could even finish the turn, "Good morning, Tom. I recognized you by the sound of your footsteps."

And it immediate struck me - The Recognition of Footsteps. I recalled growing up in Omaha and sitting in the family room in the basement, and hearing my mom or dad walking upstairs. I could hear them walking back and forth along the hallway, and I could tell who it was, just by the sound of their footsteps.

I also thought about Genesis 3:8 and God's footsteps - where Adam and Eve "heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day," and hid themselves from His presence. And Psalm 37:23 that says the steps of a righteous man are established (ordered) by the Lord (when the Lord delights in his way); as well as Proverbs 16:9 which says that while the heart of man may plan his way, it is the Lord who establishes his steps.

In fact, the Psalmist had much to say about one's footsteps:
Psalm 1:1a, Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, . . .
Psalm 17:5, My steps have held fast to your paths; my feet have not slipped.
Psalm 26:11, But as for me, I shall walk in my integrity; redeem me, and be gracious to me.
Psalm 86:11, Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name.
Psalm 119:1, Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord!

And finally, in 1 Peter 2:21, we are told "For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps."

So, here's a question for you (for me!): Does the world recognize you by your footsteps; or do yours sound just like theirs?
_

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home