Saturday, April 21, 2007

Jerry, You Callin' Me a Heretic?

**Update 5/15/07
I join my heart and prayers with those mourning the death, but celebrating the Life Everlasting, of the Rev. Jerry Falwell. Death has no victory, no sting, for the chosen child of God. (1 Cor. 15:55) I rejoice that though now absent from the body, he is now present with Christ, Coram Deo! (2 Cor. 5:8)**

So, Jerry, you callin' me a heretic? (said in my best Robert DeNiro impersonation)

Jerry Falwell, April 13, 2007, Liberty University Chapel:

"We are not into particular love or limited atonement. As a matter of fact we consider it heresy."

Heresy, eh? Hmmm. That's interesting. If my memory serves be, wasn't it the Prince of Preachers, Charles H. Spurgeon who said, "Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else." (A Defense of Calvinism) Why yes, yes it was! And Spurgeon is further bolstered by the teachings of Jonathan Edwards, John Bunyan, John Owen, George Whitefield, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, John Piper, Al Mohler, R.C. Sproul, John MacArthur, Ligon Duncan, Wayne Grudem, Sinclair Ferguson, and, oh yeah, Scripture (Eph. 1, Rom. 9)!!

So, let's see here . . . Jerry... Spurgeon? Jerry... Edwards? Jerry... Scipture?

I think I'll go with the latter. Sorry, Jerry.

2 Comments:

At 4/23/2007 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! Did you hear the contradictions?

 
At 5/02/2007 10:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

While I'm a hard line Calvinist it is not the Gospel.

http://www.gracegems.org/SERMONS2/practical_wisdom_for_calvinists.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home