Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Spurgeon - Single Reflection, Power of Comfort

The evening of October 19, 1856, 22-year-old Charles Spurgeon was set to preach at the Surrey Gardens Music Hall, which seated at least 10,000. The Hall quickly filled in anticipation of the service, people filling every seat and crowding the aisles and stairways, with thousands more standing outside to hear Spurgeon through the open windows. Shortly after Spurgeon began the services with prayer, someone in the crowd shouted, “Fire!” Panic swept the crowd and there began a rush on the exits. It is said that some outside, seeing now-opened seats inside the Hall, began to rush in. Throughout the chaotic events Spurgeon tried to calm the people, but in the end, 7 people were crushed to death, and 28 others were severely wounded. Spurgeon was devastated by what had happened, and his critics used the event to slander the young preacher.

Spurgeon withdrew from his ministry for over a week. He later reported that it was while walking through a friend’s garden that the Lord impressed upon him the text of Philippians 2:9, "Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name."

Encouraged and strengthened by the Lord and His promises, he returned to the pulpit. In Spurgeon’s first sermon after the October 19th tragedy, he said, "The text I have selected is one that has comforted me, and in a great measure, enabled me to come here today - the single reflection upon it had such a power of comfort on my depressed spirit. It is this: "Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things on earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

*Every knee will bow, every tongue will confess, to that One Single Name that is Above All Others!

2 Comments:

At 5/22/2006 6:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen.

Early on in my Christian faith, I made a commitment to read from the psalms every day for a year. At this time, I had just started to learn about the reformed faith.

One of the things that the Lord did for me at that time in my life was to show me His sovereignty and His Lordship over my life.

This is certainly a concept (a most crucial and fundimental concept) that a lot of the Church has lost.

Jesus is alive and resides at the right hand of our Father and intercedes for us. We have been chosen to be holy and blameless through Him and He is not only our savior, He is our Lord. He is the alpha and omega, He is king of kings and lord of lords and every knee will truly bow before Him. This is what we need to affirm and think about every day. As His children, we are to live our life in obedience, to further His kingdom and in everything we do, to do it to His glory. These are powerful charges, but they are the truth and a large part of the confessing Church needs to come back to it.

Y.B.I.C,

Dave.

 
At 7/07/2006 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Charles Spurgeon,
He is so cut and dry, and so full of real passion! His book Lectures to my students is a great book that I have enjoyed. Good practical advice. I love that he was virtually a Holy-Spirit taught man. I heard that he never went to cemetary. Ooops I mean Seminary!

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All my music is free for download. Anyway, I don't mean to be a pest, just thought I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
______________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All my muisc is free."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home