Thursday, October 02, 2008

Pet Peeve Phriday: Honest!

Honestly, to tell you the truth, it drives me crazy when people preface what they say with, "to be honest with you . . . " or "to tell you the truth . . ." What? You've been lying to me the rest of the time?

Stop it! Just tell me the truth, and be honest, all the time.

What say you? Do you agree? Please, you can be honest with me (pun intended)!

And while we're at it, what are your pet peeves?


Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil. (
Matthew 5:37 [ESV])

The integrity of the upright guides them, but the crookedness of the treacherous destroys them. (Proverbs 11:3 [ESV])

4 Comments:

At 10/03/2008 6:26 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

One thing that bugs me is the disappearance of the adverb. When I hear phrases like "drive safe" it just makes me cringe. Really? You want me to drive a large metal box with a combination lock on it? If not, then you should say "drive safeLY." Safely is an adverb telling how I should drive. Safe is a noun.

Those two little letters are so often left off of our speech that it is now bleeding into printed media as well. Ack! My daughters joke that it is fitting that my middle name is Leigh because I'm constantly adding a "-ly" to other people's words.

 
At 10/03/2008 8:07 AM, Blogger TSHusker said...

Thanks for the comment, Jennifer. I believe I've been guilty of that.

Another one of mine is when, instead of saying "Let's plan to meet tomorrow at 9," people say "Let's plan to meet on tomorrow at 9." The use of "on" when saying tomorrow or yesterday ("I went to the story on yesterday") is another one of those things that get to me.

Maybe I just need to relax. ;)

Tom

 
At 10/03/2008 8:13 AM, Blogger Greg said...

When people have to say, "Trust me on this . . . ," I don't.

When people preface their comments with, "Believe me . . . ," I don't.

These are both for the same reasons you give in your post. "You mean I haven't been able to trust you up to this point?!?"

 
At 10/08/2008 8:22 AM, Blogger Puritan Lad said...

I use the phrase "to be honest with you" quite a bit, not because I've been dishonest, but because I'm about to say something that I didn't say at an earlier time. In other words, you've been asking for my opinion, and now you're about to get it, honestly, no holds barred...

My pet peeve are people who leave two squares of toilet paper on the roll and then try to explain that they didn't replace the roll because it wasn't empty. (Common in my household.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home