Thursday, March 12, 2009

Song Suggestions: Jesus Is My Boyfriend Songs?

I've been working with the Junior Higher's of our church to get them to think when it comes to the music to which they listen. Similar to some of my earlier posts over the past couple of weeks, I've been encouraging them to think! - think about what they're listening to and give thought to the scriptural foundation (if any) to the songs they sing at church or sing along to on the radio.

I've given them a couples of songs each month, usually a hymn and a contemporary worship or praise song that we either sing in church or that's popular on Christian radio. I've asked them to take the songs, work their way through the lyrics with a Bible and Concordance in hand, looking up the words and messages/themes contained therein to see if they're supported by scripture. My desire is that through these exercises they learn the use of Biblically-driven discretion as they consider and test the words and messages conveyed in their music (much as the Bereans did with Paul's teaching [Acts 17:11; see also I Thessalonians 5:21-22 and I John 4:1]).

So, just how many of the songs commonly and popularly sung during Sunday services throughout the country are "me" centered - what and how I feel, and what the Lord will do for me; rather than Gospel- and Christ-focused - about Christ and Him crucified, about His glory and worth?

And where's our focus when we sing that Jesus, while on the cross, thought of us above all else (Above All)? Or when we sing "I love You, I need You, Though my world may fall, I'll never let You go, My Saviour, my closest Friend, I will worship You until the very end (Jesus, Lover of my Soul)? Come to think of it, I'm only aware of Christ's promise to never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5); not man promising that to God.

What I'd like to hear from you are suggestions of songs with which I may be able to challenge them. Perhaps a few "Jesus is my boyfriend"-type songs that are well know, or commonly song in most churches, or that you'll hear often on any given Christian radio station.

Any suggestions? And along with the song suggestion, how about sharing your thoughts on the song as well.

5 Comments:

At 3/12/2009 10:02 PM, Blogger Moon said...

Barlow girl - I need you to love me, imagine if the line where she mentions God weren't there, would you feel comfortable singing that song to Jesus Christ?

Katinas - You're all I want

compare those two with Shai Linne's Atonement Q & A

 
At 3/23/2009 7:38 AM, Blogger Puritan Lad said...

Good suggestions. The Barlow girl song really grates my nerves.

This isn't really a "Jesus is my boyfriend" song, but what about Ray Boltz "Heaven is counting on you", whjich my old church used to play during offering time? In other words, if you don't give enough money, God's purpose will fail.

Boy, talk about pressure!!!

 
At 4/16/2009 11:05 PM, Blogger Walter Hampel said...

Not sure if you're looking only for "Jesus is my boyfriend" type songs or just the opposite. In the "just the opposite" category, might I suggest reading the lyrics to "O Church Arise" by Townend & Getty. It has been written in the last few years and it is incredibly filled with Scripture and poetic references to Scripture which show incredible insight.


For example, there is a reference to the sword which Christians carry, implicitly understood to be the Word of God. The hymn goes on to make reference to this as the "sword which makes the wounded whole". After hearing so much of what alleges to be worship music, I was blessedly stunned when I heard this song for the first time two weeks ago.

 
At 4/17/2009 10:27 AM, Blogger TSHusker said...

Thanks, Walter. I love the Gettys' work! Such scripture-filled truths! And thanks for stopping by the blog and commenting!

Tom

 
At 5/08/2009 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I loved the Barlowgirl song...I don't see how that isn't Christ centered. Opening our hearts to Christ and His love for us instead of holding onto guilt and shame and trying to earn it? That's truth. Besides, the Psalms are filled with emotional expressions of David crying out about what was going on in his heart. God describes Himself as a lover, and we are His Beloved.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home