Thursday, June 15, 2006

AFI's Most Inspiring Films: Not Inspired At All!

The American Film Institute (AFI) recently came out with their list of the "100 Most Inspiring Films Of All Time."

I was not at all inspired! In fact, I think a crime has been committed - a robbery!

Where, I asked, was Chariots of Fire? In the top 10? Top 20? Perhaps the top 30? Surely, at least in the top 50, right?! NO, not at all!

Chariots of Fire (1981) is the true story of two British athletes competing in the 1924 Summer Olympics in Paris. One, a Jew, overcame anti-Semitism and class prejudice in order to compete; and the other, Eric Liddell, a devout Christian, held to his convictions which prevented him from running on a Sunday. Eric Liddell is quoted as saying, "I believe God made me for a purpose. But he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." (I love that line!)

So, where did Chariots of Fire fall in the top 100? How about #100! Can you believe it? And what movies were ahead of Chariots of Fire? What movies were considered to be more "inspirational?"

How about Breaking Away at #8, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at #17, Star Wars at #39, Thelma & Louise at #78, and What's Love Got To Do With It at #85!

Yes, my friends, a crime was committed. A crime indeed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home