Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Glory in the Cross: What's Keeping You?

“But far be it from me to boast [glory] except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.” Galatians 6:14

Let's think about it a moment, shall we?!

"As they were looking on, so we too gaze on his wounds as he hangs. We see his blood as he dies. We see the price offered by the redeemer, touch the scars of his resurrection. He bows his head, as if to kiss you. His heart is made bare open, as it were, in love to you. His arms are extended that he may embrace you. His whole body is displayed for your redemption. Ponder how great these things are. Let all this be rightly weighed in your mind: as he was once fixed to the cross in every part of his body for you, so he may now be fixed in every part of your soul." Augustine of Hippo

"When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of glory died, my richest gain I count but loss, and pour contempt on all my pride. Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, save in the death of Christ, my God; all the vain things that charm me most—I sacrifice them to His blood. See, from His head, His hands, His feet, sorrow and love flow mingled down; did e’er such love and sorrow meet, or thorns compose so rich a crown? Were the whole realm of nature mine, that were a present far too small: Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all." Isaac Watts

“More and more am I jealous lest any views upon prophecy, church government, politics, or even systematic theology, should withdraw one of us from glorying in the cross of Christ.” C. H. Spurgeon (Lectures To My Students, I.83)

Now, the question - What stops us (you!) from so glorying in the cross? And once that's answered, what will encourage us to glory in it all the more?

1 Comments:

At 6/09/2006 7:14 AM, Blogger The Catechizer and The Deacon said...

Great blog, Tom! I've linked to it over at mine. Keep up the good work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home