Thursday, September 13, 2007

More Mercy In Christ Than Sin in Us!

Came across this great quote by Richard Sibbes (1577 - 1635), English Puritan, pastor at Gray's Inn, and Master of St Catherine's Hall, Cambridge.

"There is more mercy in Christ than sin in us." (The Bruised Reed, Ch. 2)

I'll just let that one speak (and soak in) for itself.

-------------

For a collection of works by Richard Sibbes, go here.

And do not miss Pastor Mark Dever's work on Richard Sibbes, from Mercer Press (2000).

Finally, for more great Puritan quotes, see R.C. Sproul's Ligonier Ministries.

5 Comments:

At 9/14/2007 6:44 PM, Blogger dawg said...

I wish I had a hat like his!





- good quote. :)

 
At 9/15/2007 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great quote! dagg..i need to learn more about these puritans.

 
At 9/16/2007 2:28 PM, Blogger dawg said...

From this post, I went to read some more about the puritans. I even clicked the link and they have some great quotes. However, I also read about their beliefs of womans status and how they marginlized them. All of the quotes on the link are of men. How do you reconcile that when they were misogynistic?

I hope that didnt sound mean. I am just really trying to figure that out b/c they do have some great input but they also had a lot of harm cast upon women.

 
At 9/17/2007 6:04 PM, Blogger TSHusker said...

While I can't speak for the puritans, I'd commend your attention and consideration to The Council for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood.

Thanks for stopping by. And good luck in finding a hat like Mr. Sibbes.

Tom

 
At 9/19/2007 9:47 AM, Blogger Jason A. Van Bemmel said...

The Bruised Reed is one of my favorite Puritan books.

On another note: Federal Vision: I launched a new blog to further the discussion. I want to invite all interested parties in the FV controversy to come and participate: http://prochristorege.wordpress.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home