Christ's Glories - Concentrated
That we might be "filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God." (Col. 1:9-10 ESV)
John Piper provides us this wonderful "litany of amazing truths about Jesus Christ that are probably the most concentrated description of the glories of Jesus in the entire Bible" from Colossians 1:14-20.
- In him we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (v. 14)
- He is the image of the invisible God. (v. 15a)
- He is the firstborn of all creation—that is, the specially honored, first and only Son over all creation. (v.15b)
- By him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities. (v. 16a)
- All things were created through him. (v. 16b)
- All things were created for him. (v. 16c)
- He is before all things. (v. 17a)
- In him all things hold together. (v. 17b)
- He is the head of the body, the church. (v. 18a)
- He is the beginning. (v. 18b)
- He is the firstborn from the dead. (v. 18c)
- In everything he is preeminent. (v. 18d)
- In him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell. (v. 19)
- He reconciles all things to himself, whether on earth or in heaven. (v. 20a)
- He makes peace by the blood of his cross. (v. 20b)
Contents, Introduction & Chapter 1, courtesy of Westminster Bookstore.
Piper's sermons on God's purpose for, and use of spectacular sins for His purposes and ultimate glory (all for FREE download - audio and video).